Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 14 year 5 month old Maltese dog has calcium blood level

Customer Question

my 14 year 5 month old Maltese dog has calcium blood level of 14, a parathyroid tumor which we decided not to operate on given his age, and now has kidney disease. How long can he live?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about Sunny having parathyroid and now kidney disease. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. How is he doing now? Is he eating, and drinking and acting normal, or is he acting sick? It is hard if not impossible to predict how long he will live. With a calcium of 14, he may not live much longer without treatment. I would not expect him to live more than a few weeks, especially if he is acting sick, not eating well, drinking a lot of water, etc. but it could be days or he could go for a couple of months. Every dog and every case is different; there is no chart that tells us how long a dog will live with a particular disease.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Just doing some research; a calcium level of 14 to 15 is getting close to the maximum his body can tolerate. So at 14, his calcium is dangerously high.