How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6639
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We just had our pomeranian weighing about 13 lbs eat a piece

Customer Question

We just had our pomeranian weighing about 13 lbs eat a piece of raisin bread. Will he be OK??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your young Pom boy Moby who ate a small amount of raisin bread.
How much of this bread did he ingest? Just a small piece the size or a thumbnail? Or more than this.
Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.
Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 whole piece of raisin bread
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Thanks for that. Depending on the type of raisin bread, this could include a relatively small number of raisins, or quite a few. Given your boy is pretty small and only weighs 13lbs, an ingestion of an entire slice of raisin bread could potentially be an issue. If he has ingested this within the last half hour or so, then it would be safest to induce vomiting here.
There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about half an hour - he will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Do this now if you can. Raisins are a lot more of a concern than grapes, as the toxic component is more concentrated. It wouldn't take many raisins to effect Moby and have a toxic effect. You can read more about grape and raisin toxicity online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/toxins-poisons/grape-and-raisin-toxicosis-in-dogs
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi David Youssi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Moby. How is everything going?

Pet Doc

Related Dog Veterinary Questions