Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog ate tomcat rat killer she is about 4 years old and weighs

Customer Question

My dog ate tomcat rat killer she is about 4 years old and weighs only 5 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your 5 pound pup ingested Tomcat Rat Killer. Most rat poisons are anticoagulants, but some calcify tissues (cholecalciferol), some are neurotoxins that cause brain swelling (bromethalin), and others are phosphide rodenticides which produce phosphine gas in the stomach and can lead to bloating and liver and kidney failure and seizures. With phosphide rodenticides the more food in the stomach the more gas is produced, thus we don't recommend food. Tomcat Rat Killer contains Bromethalin, which is highly toxic neurotoxin. The first thing to do if he ate this less than 3 hours ago is to induce vomiting, get rid of as much as the poison as possible, then have him examined at an emergency clinic so they can administer activated charcoal and observe him for further symptoms. To induce vomiting give him 1 tablespoon of 3% Hydrogen peroxide orally mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks.Then take him out and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling.He needs to get rid of the poison. If no vomiting in 10 to 15 minutes repeat the dose. If you do not have peroxide he should be seen at an emergency clinic immediately.If it has been longer than 3 hours it is too late to induce vomiting, I would have him seen by an emergency clinic immediately. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara