Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a 78 lb. Yellow lab that I believe has pulled a muscle

Customer Question

I have a 78 lb. Yellow lab that I believe has pulled a muscle in her leg. It has gotten progressively worse over the day and now she can't walk up the stairs. Can we give her an advil for pain tonight? She is 8 years old and in good health.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. Thank you for asking before giving ibuprofen (advil). Ibuprofen is one of the most dangerous of the over the counter human medications, very small doses of this medication will cause huge stomach ulcers and possible kidney damage. There are actually no safe and effective otc human meds, naproxen is just as bad as ibuprofen , tylenol is really hard on the liver, aspirin at pain relieving doses causes stomach bleeding! The best thing to do is to put a cold or ice pack on the sore part of the leg for 10 min at a time as often as needed. Then in the morning talk to your regular vet. They will have multiple choices of very safe pain relievers in all price ranges that won't end in big bills treating kidney and stomach problems!I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.Dr. DanRead more: http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/980x4-safe-dog-naproxen-12-hours-painful.html#ixzz3hKlh3iYe