Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We got a 6 week puppy on Sunday and he seemed fine and then

Customer Question

We got a 6 week puppy on Sunday and he seemed fine and then Monday late afternoon got lethargic and threw up. Took him to the vet. They gave fluids and tested for parvo which was negative. But today he seemed fine until late afternoon. He threw up again and I can't rouse him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
"Can't rouse him" is worrisome to say the least. Is Razo unconscious?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he will lift his head for a second then put it back down.
Your constrained by how much you can do for Razo at home. I would first address possible hypoglycemia by dosing him with Karo (or a generic sucrose-containing) syrup at a dose of 1 ml (1/5 tsp) per pound of body weight and see if he responds positively - becomes brighter and more active. You've go to be careful when dosing orally to such a depressed dog. If he doesn't have a swallow reflex, he won't know to swallow and may end up aspirating the sugar solution. If administering the syrup doesn't induce tongue movement and swallowing, he'll need to be tubed by an on-call vet. He's seriously enough depressed to go to an on-call vet prior to your attempting to dose him if you have such a vet available to you. Please let me know.
Hi Julie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Razo. How is everything going?