Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My schnauzer suffered a bite wound from our sheltie and has

Customer Question

My schnauzer suffered a bite wound from our sheltie and has a small tracheal tear. They want to repair it surgically but I am reading that small tears or punctures can heal spontaneously.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Buddy's tracheal tear. I am happy to help you this evening. These tears can repair on their own but there are a few things that we look at to determine if that can safely occur. It all depends of course on the size of the tear, location of the tear in the neck/chest and also the amount of air that is leaking. So it may be that the tear is not big but it is in a place that could cause some dangerous problems with air leaking from the trachea such as near the chest or it could be leaking a large amount of air and causing lots of air leaking into the spaces between the skin. If you have any concerns though you should consider having your dog seen by a board certified veterinary surgeon to evaluate the tear and see if it can heal on its own or not. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!