Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I am currently dog sitting a chihuahua/rat terrier mix and

Customer Question

I am currently dog sitting a chihuahua/rat terrier mix and he ate (part of?) a bloody tampon. A little later I found it in his stool but for almost 24 hours he has not pooped. Should I be worried? I do not know the dog very well but he seems okay, he is eating well and does not seem uncomfortable. Should I alert the owners or just watch him for awhile?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Do you feel comfortable in saying all of the tampon is out? 2- Did he have diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did not have diarrhea.
I do not know how much he ate of it but a good chunk of it came out in his stool. He did not eat the whole thing but I honestly don't know if it is completely out.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
How long has it been since he ate it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 days but he did poop yesterday afternoon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe 2 to 3 days ago
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the concern as you may already would be the tampon becoming obstructed. I would definitely let the owners now of what is going on. In the meantime, this is what you can do: 1- Change his diet for the next 1-2 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move any part of the tampon out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. 2- Increase his water intake by offering low sodium chicken broth. 3- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have him checked by family veterinarian for xrays. 4- If during the next 1-2 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter