brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

We recently adopted an 8-year-old Pom from a Rescue. What

Customer Question

We recently adopted an 8-year-old Pom from a Rescue. What is the best time to feed him (a.m., p.m.) to keep him from going potty during the night while we are asleep? He is okay during the daytime (we are retired and at home); however, at night he will relieve himself in the house. I don't want to crate him as he is so sweet and happy with us I feel he would think he was being punished. At wit's end here. Will NOT give up on him but would like to curb this problem. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. How many meals does he get right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One a day.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
OK. In that case. it is best to feed him in the morning. After that, I recommend taking him for a walk on leash for about 20-30 minutes to encourage him to defecate at that time. I would take him for another walk about 1-2 hours before bed, to again encourage him to defecate outside.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Aside from that, I do still think that crate training is a great tool for these guys. They can be trained to really love the crate. Without crating, you could also try confining him to a smaller area such as the kitchen using a baby gate. If it is acceptable to you, you can provide puppy training pads in that area, which will hopefully help to avoid significant clean up in the morning.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
It is also a good idea to make sure he has recently had a stool sample tested for parasites to make sure this isn't being caused by a medical issue. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.