Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

What is the recommended dose of hyaluronic acid 40-50

Customer Question

what is the recommended dose of hyaluronic acid for a 40-50 lb dog with a history of congenital bilateral patellar subluxation and previos sugery on one leg?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian, I am happy to assist you!
The dose of hyaluronic acid (HA) in dogs is about 20mg, but please note that there is quite a bit of controversy over both the efficacy and the dose of HA given orally to dogs. Generally, I recommend a veterinary-species tested product (so, one specifically made for dogs) to avoid unnecessary secondary ingredients and recommend dosing according to that specific product. There are many good products available and many include HA and glucosamine and chondroitin, so that may be easier for you.
I am also a big fan of adding essential fatty acids to a dog's diet when they have orthopedic issues given the anti-inflammatory effects of these supplements. Her dose is 1,000mg of *EPA* (NOT just total EFA, so make sure to check the side/back of the bottle for EPA concentration) each day.
Thank you for your question- I hope you find this information useful! Please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time (I am compensated in no other way). Thank you!
Dr. Drea