How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Drew Your Own Question
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16846
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Drew is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My chihuahua has been licking her vulva excessively. Collars

Customer Question

My chihuahua has been licking her vulva excessively. Collars and diapers don't work when I'm not home. Would it be effective if I applied Panalog twice daily before her walk, then kept her occupied for an hour after her walk, then washed her with warm, clear water. She would have the medicine on three hours a day and couldn't ingest it. Any advice would be very much appreciated. She's 7 years old, had a slight heart murmur, and is pretty healthy - a little over-weight but on a diet by replacing some of her food with canned, no salt string beans. Thank you so much. Cheers, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her diet is 30% canned Evanger's Chicken and Rice with the other 70% being made of: 3 parts skinless roasted chicken, 1 part string beans, 1 part butternut squash, and 1 part cooked rice or oatmeal. Sometimes I add maybe 10 - 12 grams of cooked brocolli flower. I calculate the parts, in weight, on a kitchen scale.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.Your approach to using Panalog is certainly worth a try. However, I suspect that more aggressive treatment may be necessary in this case, including some or all of the following:A careful veterinary examination of the vulva and vagina, to determine if there are underlying causes for the licking,This would include infections with bacteria and/or yeast, which might require oral antibiotics or antifungals,Also, oral steroids such as prednisone may be needed if there is excessive swelling.Surgical removal of some of the skin around the vulva may be needed if she's developed excessive skin folds due to obesity.Also, a urinalysis should be performed, since urinary infection can be a cause for licking of the vulva.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew

Related Dog Veterinary Questions