Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dogs skin is turning black. what is cause & treatment?

Customer Question

my dogs skin is turning black. what is cause & treatment? thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
The most common cause for this change in pigment on sweet Snicker's skin is constant scratching which causes irritation so that the coloration changes. This can be resolved when caught early with anti histamines since Snickers probably had some allergies but this late in life, this may be a permanent change. There is nothing wrong with this and it will not harm Snickers unless there are other symptoms such as increased thirst and urinations. In this case, there may be a metabolic cause for this that your vet can determine with testing.
In most cases, however, this is a normal sequel to scratching.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Sandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snickers. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta