Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a min pin and I think she has a patellar luxation. I

Customer Question

I have a min pin and I think she has a patellar luxation. I took her to the vet and they gave her meds and told me to keep her confined unless I am letting her out to eat and potty. Well her leg doesn't seem to be getting any better and she is 7m old.
Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Patellar luxation is very common in small breed dogs. Most dogs will do well with pain meds/ anti-inflammatories like Rimadyl, Tramadol or Deramaxx. Some dogs will have problems daily or weekly and this will require surgery to deepen the groove or change the shape of the patella to make it sit more snugly in that groove.For your dog, I think the surgery would be a good option. It sounds like she is having pain and issues daily, so she would fall in the surgical category. There are many general practice vets that do the procedure. If yours does not, they'll probably send you to an orthopedic surgeon to have the procedure done. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no other way to help this without surgery.
I just hate seeing her cut on and limping every so often
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
When it's causing chronic lameness, then the only option is to stabilize the patella. Medications are ok for the dogs that may limp every few months. When signs occur more frequently than that, surgery works and will stabilize the knee.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Presious. How is everything going?