Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog just ate a small bag of m & m crispy just found the bag not sure when she ate t

Customer Question

my dog just ate a small bag of m & m crispy just found the bag not sure when she ate them
1.35 oz
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Luckily these are very low in chocolate concentration, perhaps 25% is chocolate. So even if she is six pounds this amount of chocolate will not cause her any issues.
I would still monitor for signs of chocolate toxicity which can range from:
Mild:
- Vomiting, diarrhea
Moderate:
- Muscle tremors, increased water intake, hyperexcitability to lethargy
Severe:
- Seizures
But I truly do not expect to see any issues with this ingestion.
As a precaution tonight
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours for 24 hours
- White rice and boiled chicken to settle her stomach and reduce risk of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
But I suspect you will not see any ill effects at all from this ingestion. I just would prefer you to know what to monitor for and if you see moderate signs then please seek veterinary attention
I am on-line another 15 minutes tonight to assist with any additional questions or concerns
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon I wanted to check with you to see how Autumn recovered from the events yesterday?
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!