Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

~30 pound dog with its head caught in a wheel rim taken to

Customer Question

~30 pound dog with its head caught in a wheel rim taken to a fire station. Attempts to cut wheel rim resulted in dog going crazy and several people being bitten. Paramedics have midazolam and diphenhydramine. Recommendations?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am very sorry to hear about your dog and the predicament it has gotten into. Benadryl can be used at 1 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours or can be given by injection at the same dose. So a 30 lb dog would need around 30 mg either by mouth or by injection and may or may not cause dog to become sleepy. Midazolam would most likely cause some sedation but not necessarily enough to get the head out. The dose in dogs is 0.25 mg/kg given as an injection into the muscles. So a 30 lb dog would need approximately 3 mg given into the muscle. It is strongly suggested to have a veterinarian on site if possible to help treat this dog. Most likely will require more medications than this but midazolam may be enough. If possible get a vet to come to you if not get the fire department to go to an emergency hospital so this dog can be completely sedated and that way no one else will be hurt including the dog. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead