Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog ate her collar and I want to know if I need to call

Customer Question

My dog ate her collar and I want to know if I need to call her vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear that your girl ate her collar. I am happy to help you this evening. Since you tried to induce vomiting and was unable to induce vomiting I would suggest having her seen by a vet tonight. Its important to know where the collar is in her digestive tract and if possible induce vomiting with medications to remove the collar. That way if it comes back up and out then there is nothing to worry about. If it appears to be passing through then your vet will be able to tell you what to do and what to watch for to make sure it does not get stuck in her and passes through. But definitely getting her seen tonight and figuring out where the collar is with an x ray will give the most information and will be able to tell you exactly the chances of any problems. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!