Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog wont eat. What do i do?

Customer Question

My dog wont eat. What do i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 days, i took him to the vet when this was first happening. He was throwing up all night and my vet told me the he had consumed something that he couldnt digest. I took him home hoping he would pass it, and he did he threw up a piece of clothe and what appeared to be a ball of cardboard after that passed, he started drinking water, lots of it. I had to limit it because hed drink it to fast and just throw it up. He always has water available just in limited amounts so he cant chug it.after limiting the amount he consumed his vomiting stopped. With it only happening onve or twice in the last two days. I have offered him almost every kind of food. Peanut butter (his favorite) bread, chicken, wet food, dry food and he turns his face away and back up evrytime.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay, I had some technical problems at this end, sorry. 1- Did your vet do any testing like xrays? 2- Besides not eating, is he showing any other symptoms? 3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but not after he threw up. I just don't have the money for another expensive very bill. His gums look fine. And hes just lethargic. Nothing else. He hasnt pooped in a couple days.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bullzeye. It appears that your first expert has left the conversation.
How is he doing? Do you still need help with him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. He wont eat anything at all.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Has the vomiting stopped, or is he vomiting at all? Is he still drinking, and holding water down if you control how much he gets?
Not eating could be a sign of an intestinal blockage (but I would expect him to continue to vomit), pain, or internal disease (liver, kidney, pancreas, infection, etc.).
Is he urinating? Having bowel movements?