Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

How long does it take from lab to get a test result

Customer Question

How long does it take from lab to get a test result for botulism in dog. It's been fifteen days!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Now while it can be frustrating to have to wait, I would note that the longer it takes to get a culture result, the more likely it will be negative. This is because if a sample was full of this bacteria, then it would grow quickly and they'd have had a positive within the first 5 days of culture. Since you haven't heard anything, I suspect the lab is doing an "extended culture" to detect possible delayed germination of injured bacterial spores. This is usually done for another 10 days. Therefore, I would expect result soon, would advise having your vet ring the lab to confirm what they are doing and findings so far, and again if it is taking this long, the chances of a negative result are getting higher for your dog.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )