Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 5 year old dachshund, Annie, that is a rescue and

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old dachshund, Annie, that is a rescue and came to live with us over a year ago. She was perfectly healthy at the time. About a month ago she started acting funny, we left her Fathers Day weekend with a dog/ house sitter. She was acting sluggish when we returned, thought she had eaten something in the yard or had gotten into the pantry and eaten too much of something. Both our dogs are gluttons and would be obese if they could, our other dog is a large Labradodddle that we have had since she was a puppy.
The day after Father's Day I took Annie to the vet, where she put her on an IV for two days, no change. During this time, after we would walk her she would act drunk, unsteady walking, then layed down and was extremely lethargic. In the past few weeks the vet has done two ultrasounds, no tummy blockage, ex rays on her back, no back issue, blood work,ruled out thyroid. Annie is a miniature Dachshund, she came to us a 11lbs, she now weighs 15lbs, over a pound has been gained in the last three weeks. Annie has been on a diet for 3 + months and has continued to gain weight, I feel this is due to what ever is ailing her, we feed her 1/3 cup of dry food in the morning and 1/3 cup in the evening, which is less than we use to and have reduced snacks, a little watermelon or carrot during the day. Her symptoms today are excessive shedding, lethargy, moping around, deep sleep when the doors open and she should jump to go outside. If taken on a walk she acts like a drunk and lays down comatose, no more walks right now! My vet has no more answers, she actual has been hurt recently and we have seen two other docs in the practice, we're not getting anywhere, just lots of tests and treatments that are not working, I know that is there way medicine works, it's a trial and error approach, but I am now at a loss at what to do. Any ideas? Should I go get her records and take her to a different vet for a new view approach. Your help is greatly appreciated! Darby
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Thank you for the thorough history you provided. My initial thought was that Annie is profoundly hypothyroid but this should have been easily ruled out by finding a very low T4 (total thyroid blood test). Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your correct I do not have her records here at home. Yes, I do know they ruled out thyroid, that was my concern as well. I am planning on getting her medical records. I have just been observing her hoping that whatever is going on will run its course. I don't think that is going to happen. I will send you her records if I don't take her to a new vet. Just hate to change her doctor, we have been with them for 20 + years.
I understand but referral to a specialist veterinary internist can be most rewarding. Please see here: www.acvim.org. You needn't change her regular vet. You're simply getting a second opinion.