Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog just ate a dead rat at the park, do I need to induce

Customer Question

My dog just ate a dead rat at the park, do I need to induce Vomiting. He's a 90lb Golden retriever, he's 6yrs old, but he has Lymphoma and has been on a ton of prednisone
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. Friend, the concern would be a possible obstruction. However, inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bones can damage the esophagus on the way out. Instead, this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.2- Do not induce vomiting.3- Change his diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the rat out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract. 4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!