Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is a 6-year old lab mix who is healthy and normally

Customer Question

My dog is a 6-year old lab mix who is healthy and normally loves to walk. He is eating, does his tricks etc. He suddenly doesn't want to go for a walk. We usually walk 5-6 miles spread out over the day. Now he walks a 1/2 block or block and puts on his "brakes" and won't move forward but turns around to go back.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear your Lab is not wanting to do his normal routine of exercise. There are a multitude of causes of this type of behavior ranging from neurologic or orthopedic in origin to anemia or heart related causes (even in his young age).I would definitely advise a veterinary exam and routine bloodwork to rule out potential causes of his symptoms and in hopes of getting him feeling better and back to his normal activity levelI wish I could be more succinct to causes but unfortunately there are such a wide variety that it is difficult to hone in on.My little dog would do this when she became very anemic but was otherwise perfectly healthy. Once bloodwork was done we were able to catch her diagnosis and begin appropriate therapy. Yet my other dog that did the same thing had a completely different issue with her heart!Please let me know if this information makes sense or any additional questions I can assist with today. I hope he is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!