Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am a 70y.o. lady, on my own,, new in ACT, love it

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 70y.o. lady, on my own,, new in ACT, love it here despite the cold, BUT, unfortunately I came to live next to a middle age couple that have a very small dog who, in my opinion and from what I can see, living next to them, the precious little doggie, unable to defend herself (female), unable to DO A SINGLE THING except being treated with a such cruelty, most UNLOVED little thing; regardless of the weather, raining, freezing cold, frost, thunder, heavy winds, no food ( think) no water or a clean yard, totally abandoned and dumped in their untidy back yard, I do not want to report to RSPCA just in case thet do not take her away and being reported, in my opinion, would mean that the owners may even harm the doggie, my health is being affected by this abuse, I FEEL so much the pain and lonelyness that the doggie is being put thru, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Your question was moved from the original category because is was not answered in a timely fashion.
I would want to know how you asked the owner if you could have his dog. Meaning did you mention the dog could use more company, or that you liked the dog a lot, etc?
Do you have a friend who would call the RSPCA for you?
In many instances, when a person is contacted by authorities enough times they usually end up surrendering the dog.
That being said the owner's only duty to the dog is to proved shelter, water, and food to the dog. They do not have to bring the dog inside the home and the dog will not be taken if those three basic needs are met and the dogs appears healthy. Meaning it is not grossly underweight, or have any open noticeable wounds on it. Sadly , dogs are seen only as property, though in some places this is starting to change.