Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Our dog was diagnosed with oral Chondrasarcoma on the upper

Customer Question

Our dog was diagnosed with oral Chondrasarcoma on the upper right side and I just don't know what to expect or how long do I have with her. She is an 8 year old boxer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were given option do no nothing so do we go ahead and have her put to sleep or wait to see how she has?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Dutchess. Here's what you need to know about non-nasal chondrosarcoma:
15-30% develop metastatic disease (lungs most common)
With aggressive surgery - which sounds inappropriate - median survival is greater than 3 years and many dogs will enjoy long-term local control; however, depending upon tumor location and completeness of excision, up to 40% will develop local recurrence.
With palliative care alone, survival times of greater than 1 year are still possible.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are afraid it has gone into nasal cavity due to her episodes of sneezing in which the right side looks to go numb. I just don't want her to suffer. She is still eating at this point. The malignant tumor is on the upper right area approximately 3 inches in length and 1 inch in width
Thank you for the additional information. Yes, her sneezing would suggest extension of the cancer into the nasal cavity. In this case, her longevity is measured in weeks to months. Please continue our conversation if you wish.