Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Dr. Nimmo- our female dachshund has been experiencing gassy

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Nimmo- our female dachshund has been experiencing gassy diarrhea for about four days. We have switched over in rice with no luck. Otherwise, she is alert, active, tail wagging, good appetite and drinking water regularly. Thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for requesting me,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Tell me did you withhold food for any period of time before trying the rice diet with Morgen?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. We kept on her usual schedule.
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Thanks for the info, withholding food for 24 hours to give her digestive system a rest and then a gradual reset may do the trick, but see below. Be aware though that this sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Morgen over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A tablespoon twice a day would be fine for an average sized miniature Dachshund.Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Morgen deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Morgen is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her diarrhoea.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Morgen. How is everything going?