Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a french bulldog puppy about 7 months old. I noticed

Customer Question

Hi , I have a french bulldog puppy about 7 months old. I noticed his testicles are red and it looks like a rash. I'm not sure if its cause he's playing on the carpet. I have carpet around the whole house. Today i noticed black spots on the rash part. Its also not the full testicle just the part that touches the carpet when hes lying down. What should i do? he has no other spots anywhere on his body and does not scratch them or try to bite/lick them.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! So sorry to hear your dog has this area of concern! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize inflammation and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing or progressively getting more red then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted. It very well could be a reaction to the carpet at this point and as for the black spots they can be an indicator of early signs of infection or simply freckles that can develop more on testicles and belly than anywhere else on the body. If they are pinpoint they are more likely an inflammatory response whereas if they are larger and flush with the testicle it could potentially be some pigmentation changes1.) No licking! Even though he is not licking now please monitor for him licking and if this area is reachable then please put on a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection2.) Trim the hair around the area if there ends up being any discharge from the testicle3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a cortisone cream on the area after cleaning and wipe off after 10 minutes to ensure minimal absorption 5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing if there ends up being a sore. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this area will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the side. 7.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help with the redness and reduce risk it will become more itchy as it begins to heal8.) You can use a cool compress to the area to soothe the redness as well if he is amenable to itPlease let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both. I am signing off for the night but will return tomorrow to see if you have responded in any way
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Javier,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman