Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 12 1/2 year old German Shepherd on Carprofen

Customer Question

I have a 12 1/2 year old German Shepherd on Carprofen for arthritis in her back and hip. For the past 2 -3 weeks she has had extremely loose stools. After trying pumpkin we had 2-3 successful regular bowel movements but have since gone backwards. She is also not making it through the day to be let out upon my return from work and is urinating and having bowel issues at the same time. I have noticed an increase in water consumption
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup is arthritic thus necessitating the use of Carprofen long term and now has extremely loose stools, drinking more water, and having urine and stool accidents in the house. How long has she been taking the Carprofen?Some dogs develop liver or kidney disease with the long term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories. This can lead to loose stools due to the irritant effects of the drug on the intestinal tract and the irritant effects of increased metabolic wastes from organ failure on the gut. Her increased urine production could be secondary to her body's attempt to flush out metabolic wastes or poor kidney function and the inability of her kidneys to conserve fluids.. Her drive to drink more could be secondary to fluid loss from her diarrhea, but if she is urinating more than her increased water consumption may be a sign of organ (kidney or liver) stress or failure.Spinal arthritis could lead to loss of control/incontinence but then I would not expect that she would have loose stools, just accidents in the house due to loss of control. I also would not expect that she would drink more water with loss of control.I think that your girl needs to see her veterinarian. I would want to check a biochemistry profile and urinalysis to look for organ failure or any signs of infection.I would also check her stools for parasites, which can be behind loose stools, especially in dogs that are already stressed.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been on Carprofen 2x daily for about one and a half years. She also takes tramadol if she is having a rough day.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
That is a long period of time to be taking a nonsteroidal like Carprofen. While it is often necessary in dogs with arthritis to keep them comfortable that makes it more likely we can see side effects. Tramadol is less likely to cause the symptoms that you are seeing.I would encourage you to have her see her veterinarian. I am worried about her and her organ function.