Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 year, 9 month old sheltie was recently diagnosed

Customer Question

Hello, My 10 year, 9 month old sheltie was recently diagnosed with Retrobulbar mass/ tumor right orbit after a CT of the head was performed with the following findings: Nasal cavities are normal, brain is normal. The tympanic bullae are normal. There is a large contrast enhancing mass effect seen in the medial aspect of the right orbit. This is causing deviation of the globe and is relatively well-defined and measures approximately 2.5 x 1.7 cm. No obvious bony destruction is seen. The mass in the medial aspect of the right orbit appears to be dorsal to the pterygoid muscle is causing ventral displacement of the zygomatic salivary gland. There is malformation of the right frontal sinus which may be a congenital anomaly, the brain is normal. The retropharyngeal lymph nodes are normal. No other specific changes are seen. All the UNDERLINED words are spelled as they appear on the report. --- Conclusions: Well-defined contrast enhancing mass effect within the medial aspect of the right orbit. The underlying cause is not known. Neoplasia would be suspected. Cellular sampling may be helpful. Malformation of the right frontal sinus which is likely congenital and incidental. Otherwise normal skull. I don't understand all these medical words. Can you tell me exactly, in lay-mans words what they mean? Does my sheltie have any chance of being cured? According to the comments of the vet, palliative care is the only option, unless we want to put him through invasive treatment. Guess I'm grasping at straws at this point
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now in regards ***** ***** this report is saying, to start the interior of the nose, brain, inner ear, and lymph nodes in the area are all normal. The did say that the frontal sinus looks not quite right, but the changes are suspected to be something he was born with and not part of this issue.
Now as you already noted, they have found a mass right behind the right eye. It is not eroding the bone in the area but is pressing on the eye and also pushing down on the salivary gland. They have noted that it looks to be a well defined. That means it is a mass opposed to something diffusely inflaming or swelling the tissues behind the eye.
Their conclusion from this CT is that there is a mass that is likely a cancer (neoplasia) present here. Since one cannot always tell cancers from benign growths or abscesses without sampling the mass content, that is what they are advising as the next step.
So, if this mass has not been sampled to identify the cells present, that would be ideal. It would tell us if we had an abscess caused by infection that could be treated. As well, it would tell us if this was cancerous or a benign growth. Knowing this could help you to decide if you wanted your lad to see a specialist surgeon for possible removal (though the eye would likely need to be removed to do so).
Overall, the CT confirms that there is a mass behind the right eye. It cannot tell us what the nature of the mass is, but that is something you could have done if you wished to determine if there is more that can be done besides just keeping him comfortable.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet