Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Shipping 2 yr old Lab, robust health, Rleigh NC to Anchorage,

Customer Question

shipping 2 yr old Lab, robust health, Rleigh NC to Anchorage, Alaska. Dog will be held in a vet clinic 8 hours en route to make sure he is watered, aired and not exposed to Summer daytime temperatures. I would like to give him a small dose of benadryl to make him slightly sleepy. Is it safe? how much? I only want to make him a little bit sleepy, not knock him out. Dog weighs 86 LBs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now I have to say that if he is being seen by vets en route, there are better non-anesthetizing options that they can provide for sedation (ie Acepromazine, Valium). Otherwise, you can consider using Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) as a safe option for a young healthy dog. You can read more about this drug @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl Dose-wise, we typically will give dogs 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight (for an 86lb dog that would a range of 43-172mg). The higher end of this dose will be our dose for making him drowsy. Of course, before using this on the trip, consider having a test run at home to ensure it has the desired results at the dose of your choice. If you found that it didn't help Little John, then you can request one of those alternatives from his vet to use during the journey.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )