Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I put some sargents flea and tick on my 5 lbs chihuahua-she

Customer Question

I put some sargents flea and tick on my 5 lbs chihuahua-she had reaction-I bathed her and she is whimpering and trying to scratch the back of her neck. I gave her 1 teaspoon of childrens benedryl 1 hour ago and she is still whimpering and itching. what else can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Unfortunately, we can see side effects of this nature from this product on our dogs. In regards ***** ***** to do, you have done everything right. I would only say that you want to make sure that you did get all of the treatment off her coat. If her coat still feels greasy at all, you can break that down and remove it using dish soap. Anything left after that may require you to clip off the fur where she was treated.
In regards ***** ***** that too was a good start. Still, if she isn't settling, we'd need to think about further treatment. As long as the Benadryl didn't make her too drowsy, you can double that dose for her weight and this can be given every 8 hours. As well, you can apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to the irritated skin to reduce that allergic/itchy discomfort. Finally, if she is still agitated even after that then we would want her to see her vet for treatment with injectable steroids to halt the allergic reaction completely.
Overall, you have done well here but if she is still irritated, then do consider the above amendments for her treatment at this stage.
Please take care,
Dr. B.