Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 5 lb shih is uncomfortably constipated and trying so hard

Customer Question

my 5 lb shih is uncomfortably constipated and trying so hard to go but can't
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that Sophie is straining so hard. If she is in discomfort with this already, we may need to consider getting her seen by her vet for an enema to remove what feces is present in her colon first.
Otherwise, instead of the pumpkin (which is a good fiber source to maintain regularity), I would suggest focusing on lubricating her gut to get this to pass for her. In regards ***** ***** options, you can try cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) just now. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. It would be ideal to give in food (to avoid aspiration) but you can carefully administer this orally via syringe. These will hopefully get things moving in her GI and reduce her signs sooner.
While treating with this, you do need to monitor her closely. Keep a close eye on her urination and her stools. If we don't see either within a few hours of administering these, then it is best to have her checked by your local vet to get that struck feces out. Just to note, other signs to monitor for to tell us if this is causing serious issue (or if we have a blockage) would be restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). Any of these signs, then we'd be concerned that this is quite severe and want her checked.
Overall, if she is really straining, we do need to tread with care. Therefore, at this point you can consider the GI lubricants to see if you can get her to pass stool and settle. But while doing so, we need to monitor for those other signs and any deterioration. If she doesn't pass stool or isn't settling over the next few hours, then it'd be best to have her vet check her to make sure there is nothing in her gut causing a blockage and have her treated with an enema to clear this and get her back to being comfortable.
In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?

nekovet