Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

Can Selamectin be used safely in a 15 year old dog who had

Customer Question

Can Selamectin be used safely in a 15 year old dog who had a bad reaction to oral meds for flea and hearworm?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!I have a couple of questions:1. Can you tell me what oral product specifically Candy had a reaction to?2. What was her reaction?3. Has Candy had a heart worm test within the last 6 months or so?Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Triflexis I believe it was called.
2. The second time when we connected the reaction to the medication, she was worse. She became lethargic, couldnt walk, temperature low, heart rate slow, not really responsive. While she does have some heart issues, our Veterinary emergency clinic couldn't find a cause for this reaction. They gave her IV fluids and she gradually improved.
3. It was Negative. We might ask for another before using any other meds. Concerned due to her age and health, but also we don't want a flea infestation or heartworm.
4. Her current meds are: Enalapril 5 mg, Previcox 2.27mg amlodipine 2.5 mg and she weighs 21 pounds,
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Got it, thanks!Yes, Revolution (selamectin) can safely be used in a dog that's had a reaction to Trifexis or a dog with heart disease. Take a look at this link on Addison's disease (similar symptoms to what you described): http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=608; I don't know how like it is, but what you described made me think of this disease because it is often diagnosed during a "crisis" that looks similar to what Candy experienced...Revolution could be a very nice alternative for Candy; it is easy to apply and is effective for both flea and heart worm prevention. Hope this helps!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carol,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Candy. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in on Candy to see how things are going and if you have any additional questions!