Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have 5 yr old 90lb golden doodle. He has thrown up twice

Customer Question

I have 5 yr old 90lb golden doodle. He has thrown up twice tonight (his dinner) and just had diarrhea. I think he has a virus as he did not eat anything foreign... What can I give him tonight to soothe his stomach?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear your Goldendoodle is having gi issues.First and foremost (the hardest part) is to not feed anything tonight to soothe his stomach. Often when a dog begins to show signs of vomiting anything given orally will cause further vomiting and then resulting in dehydration. I can give you some basic guidelines for him tonight but if he is not improving by morning then I would advise a veterinary exam to determine if medical intervention is warranted. 1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 20mg 1 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 2 tablets daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting him comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is. Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am on-line another 30 minutes this evening If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!