Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is 7 and has been dealing with bladder stones

Customer Question

My dog is 7 and has been dealing with bladder stones for over 2 years. I've been feeding him prescription food and he take potassium citrate daily. He's been on that for 2 years as well. He gets checked very few months and we've had some good check ups. His last on in June was not good, in fact it was one of the worse ones. He had surgery 2 December ago and that didn't help. He has started losing mobility in his back legs and he pants heavily most of the time. He also sleeps all the time. He does eat and drink but will go days between eating. He also has started sleeping under the bed instead on the bed like he use to. I'm afraid he's in pain and its time to let him go but I'm not sure if I'm just reading to much into this. I'm not sure what to do at this point. He goes to doggie daycare and I've been told that over the past months all he wants to do it lay in bed, I think that's another reason it's time to consider putting him down. He won't go on long walks and doesn't play anymore, I'm I just being selfish at this point?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
I am very sorry to hear about Pepper's situation. If he is struggling to enjoy life as he once did, then we do have to consider his situation with great care.
Now if he is losing mobility and is generally uncomfortable (in his legs, bladder, etc), then we'd want to consider a trial on dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, Tramadol, etc) for him if you have not already. This could reduce inflammation at all his problem sites to help get him at least feeling more comfortable, like himself and allow him to once again enjoy life.
Of course, if we tried that but found it was not enough or those stones were causing him urinary issues (ie bleeding, blockages), then we'd have to consider letting him go. But before we do that it'd be advisable to make sure that his withdrawing isn't due to a discomfort that we can address for him.
Please take care,
Dr.B.