Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Could my 65 pound swallow a thick 8 inch long antler?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. Hi I am sorry, your requested Expert has been unable to respond, I will be working with other Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I understand that you are concerned about the possibility of Cleopatra swallowing an 8 inch long, thick antler.The short answer is yes, it is possible. While it wouldn't be easy, and I would expect some throat and esophageal soreness and stomach upset from it, and difficulty digesting it once it gets to the stomach it is possible. There are valid reports with radiographs to back them up of dogs swallowing large knives, sticks and large rocks.If Cleopatra's antler is missing, and especially if she has been gagging, vomiting and/or reluctant to eat she should see her veterinarian for an examination and some radiographs. This is something that is unlikely to pass successfully and endoscopic retrieval or surgery will likely be needed if she did indeed swallow her antler.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your reply came to late to help me. I brought Cleopatra to the emergency vet on Sunday evening. They did an exray, no antler. She's fine. Please don't charge me for your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that my response came too late, but I am very glad to hear that your girl did not eat the antler. I will pass this along to customer service and have your deposit refunded.