Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

What to do bulldog constipation?

Customer Question

what to do for French bulldog constipation?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear your Angel is having issues with bowel movements! If this continues the next 24 hours then please have your veterinarian do an exam to determine if medical intervention is necessary
There are certain steps that can be taken to reduce this frequency, more often seen in senior pets
1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon
2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication
3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate. Walking 15-20 minutes 2-3 times today to encourage that mobility and emptying of the colon
4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin with dinner, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with dinner (I feed my dogs a full whole carrots with dinner)
Again if this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issue. I do NOT advise an enema which can be toxic to dogs
Please let me know if you have any additional questions today.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!