Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Can you help with our puppy? He is 9 weeks old, has been eating and drinking normally

Customer Question

Hi - can you help with our puppy? He is 9 weeks old, has been eating and drinking normally, but today he is quite lethargic, and won't eat. He drank some water, but threw it up. Just vomited clear liquid.
We treated him with Frontline yesterday, but otherwise no meds.
Thanks you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together with Rufus :)I can give you some basic guidelines for him but if this continues overnight then please consult your veterinarian first thing tomorrow. Please remove the water along with the food. If he is vomiting even water he will continue to vomit if offered which will result in dehydration and progressive lethargy 1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours after the 6-8 hours has passed3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/8 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/8 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Rufus comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is. Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.Tonight every 4 hours please take a small amount of karo syrup (or corn syrup, maple syrup, honey) on the tip of your finger and put it along his gums. Not enough to swallow but he will absorb it directly from his gums which maintains his sugar level and also can help with his energy. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope Rufus is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!