Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My terrier/poodle ate her heartworm med and then ate my lab

Customer Question

my terrier/poodle ate her heartworm med and then ate my lab mix heartworm!! what should I look for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Luckily heartworm medication is very safe and tested with 5-10 x the recommended dose to ensure that it is not toxic if large volumes are ingested.
Depending on the brand of heartworm prevention (there are about 5 varieties) most common clinical signs of ingestion of large volumes
Lethargy
Depression
Drooling
Vomiting
Dilated pupils
Loss of appetite
Disorientation
Tremors/Seizures
Blindness
Trouble standing
Slow heartbeat
Difficulty breathing
Coma
If you see anything more than the lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite in the next 24 hours then it would be best to have your little one seen but in general these medications are very safe and I would not expect to see any side effects
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!