Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 12 week old pit puppy that has had her 1st 5

Customer Question

I have a 12 week old pit bull puppy that has had her 1st 5 in 1 shot..she was around another puppy with parvo..now she is pooping a thick bloody mess..but she's still drinking..what should I do...plus we have her sister in the same home...she is not sick at all should I give her the second 5 in 1 shot now? It is time...but I don't want to make her easier to get whatever this is...oh..the sick puppy puked up some worms too??? Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry that you all are in this predicament and that no one has assisted you yet today
I am terribly worried about the puppy being exposed to Parvo now having bowel movements that are bloody because one vaccination will not prevent a puppy from getting Parvo Virus. I would very strongly urge a veterinary er visit to test her for Parvo and rule this out with her exposure.
As for the other puppy yes I would advise vaccinating this puppy to minimize risk of exposure but until the full series of vaccinations are completed (8,12, 16 weeks) the risk of Parvo Virus is still a concern and unfortunately Pitbulls are more susceptible to Parvo than other breeds.
Because the ill puppy vomited up worms there is a possibility this is related to the type of worm she vomited up but if she continues to show signs of vomiting there is a risk in trying to treat her orally with any dewormers. I definitely would advise taking photos of the worms or bringing them in and having the er diagnose the type of worm and then prescribe an appropriate dewormer for both new puppies
I hope this information makes sense but I am terribly worried about the one exposed to Parvo even with having one vaccination because she is still at high risk for Parvo Virus
Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. You are definitely in my thoughts
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you all!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman