Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 10 month old golden has been having black stools, I see

Customer Question

My 10 month old golden has been having black stools, I see this when I go out to clean the yard. Could this be from being outside for a few days ( the stool) he seems fine other than this. I am really worried now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Just the act of being outside, unless the conditions were harsh, should not result in black stools.When the stool is black in color or has a "tarry" appearance, that can suggest melena:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/melena-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/page1.aspxPossible causes could include:- intestinal parasites (not just worms, but microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia.- cancer- a ulcer in the esophagus or the stomach (an ulcer is a wound in the tissue inside the stomach or esophagus- from repetitive vomiting- toxin exposureTypical tests to help evaluate the cause of melena would include:- A fecal test for parasites- A blood profile to evaluate organ function and assess for infection- x-rays of the belly or an abdominal ultrasound to look at the stomach and intestinal walls, although this would not likely be suggested at this point in the absence of bad diarrhea or vomiting. So, worthwhile to get a fresh sample of the feces in to a vet and for a general examination to see if anything needs to be done. Good Luck with JAC. Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jac. How is everything going?