Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

He's 80 lbs. hasn't eaten today. He's not lethargic and has

Customer Question

He's 80 lbs. hasn't eaten today. He's not lethargic and has had more exercise this past week playing with my dog than he's used to. It's been about a half hour since the last heave.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Most likely Cooper has a mild digestive disturbance caused by either stress, something odd he may have consumed or the excitement with the other dog. The best thing to do for now is to follow these instructions:
Fast Cooper for 12-24 hrs which he is doing himself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)
If the vomiting has resolved, then wean sweet Cooper back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take him to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****