Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 9 yr old female beagle basset can't seem to poop. She is

Customer Question

My 9 yr old female beagle basset can't seem to poop. She is trying but can't. We walk her twice a day and she usually poops during her walks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Sorry to hear Scout is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. If she is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a dog of your one's size would be in the region of 6 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.You can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil until you can pick up the mineral oil. 2. On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try two tablespoons twice a day for an average sized Beagle.3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment. 4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other more serious diseases, this of course is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check Scout over sooner rather than later. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Scout is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her constipation.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Ora,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Scout. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took her to local vet. Just got her out today. Please cancel any further checks on Scout. Thank you for your assistance. She had an intestinal infection. Is on antibiotics. Thank you. No further assistance needed. Please end our account.