Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dr Fiona, My vet seems to have missed the symptoms of the

Customer Question

Hi Dr Fiona, My vet seems to have missed the symptoms of the pimply rash on my pup( 7 month) until the other day when it is quite extensive. I have been given Amoxicillin antibiotics for 6 days and a wash. this does not seem to agree with your suggested course of treatment. regards Jan
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't have a temperature, eating ok. The rash does look very pink and has turned parts of his white hair on his head and neck a peachy colour .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the antibiotic is 250mg strength.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Amoxicillin is not a good choice for bacterial skin infections. I need to see if there's an underlying cause of that rash such as demodicosis (the mange mite Demodex). Were skin scrapings looking for that mange mite or a sample of Cerro's skin surface checked microscopically for abnormal numbers of bacteria and yeast?
Thank you for the photo. It becomes out of focus when I blow it up to a useful size but it appears to represent a superficial spreading pyoderma which is better addressed with potentiated amoxicillin (amoxicillin + clavulanate) or an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin or cefadroxil for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. An antimicrobial shampooing containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide twice weekly should hasten resolution. Skin scrapings are prudent for a dog of Cerro's age in order to make sure that an underlying demodicosis doesn't exist. Demodex is also called "red mange" because of the color change it can cause.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your reply, this morning we changed our Veterinarian. The new Vet has done everything you suggested my mind is now at rest.Thank you,Jan
That's good to hear, Jan. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.