Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

4 year old female mutt mix dalmatian,

Customer Question

4 year old female mutt mix dalmatian, pitt possibly with some sort of Bird dog. Anyway she's the families loved dog that is very much spoiled. And she has been chewing at her butt, ocasionally she dragging on the floor. One vet said previously that it was some kind of butt glands. But to me it seems like some sort of a mite or something because whenever she comes over to you and you touch your back she squats down to the floor and just loves her back being rubbed, like way more than normal. She's had one litter and been fixed for a couple years. Do you think this could be some sort of a mite or skin allergy she's actuall chewed her but red overnight. It seems like it started happening when she first went to the neighbors house and played with their dog around a year ago. Since then it's only progressed worse and worse. Since the initial vet visit if we had around a year ago we haven't had any follow ups, after all it was some sort of but glands or something like that according to them. I'm concerned because she likes to get on the couch and bed and things of the sort. Please provide an email address or ph number that I am able to upload a photo or two of the chewing she has done last night.
Thanks Chris @xxx.xxx.xxxx
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry no one has yet to assist you yet today. Unfortunately anal glands are the most common cause of the symptoms you mentioned including scooting, licking, chewing, sitting abruptly and do need to be expressed regularly in some dogs to prevent recurrence (every 1-2 months). A groomer or a veterinary technician is able to do this for you to avoid a veterinary exam fee. Below is some information on anal gland issues in dogs:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/anal-glands-in-dogs
The second most common cause of this chewing and irritation in this area is a flea allergy dermatitis. Just one flea bite can cause a dog who has allergies quite significant distress for an extended period of time so purchasing a flea product such as frontline or advantage at your local pet store is advised as well.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/skin/flea-allergy-dermatitis-in-dogs
The area you describe and her age makes mites much less likely. If it were mange this is a general itching and hair loss not localized to the tail base area and demodex (the other dog mite) is only seen in young dogs typically < 1 year old
The last cause of chewing the area which again is not as common as the first two is a food allergy. Dogs are most commonly allergic to the proteins in their foods so if the top two are not found to be an issue this would be the next step. Doing a food allergy trial using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods are prescription only and include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much I was hoping for a solution to the random butt bumps that she so willingly twerks apon everyone. Lol
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Yes I imagine so, interesting way to put the butt dance!!