Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our beagle is 71/2 years old and he had like a turn today,

Customer Question

our beagle is 71/2 years old and he had like a turn today, very disoriented, couldn't walk and wet himself this went on for about 10 minutes. He then came good but tonight is very similar, shaking, disoriented and wants to come inside. legs are shaking. What would you think is the matter with him. As it is after hrs on a sunday night what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about your dog hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
There could be several possible explanations for your dog's behavior which might include toxicities of some sort but if the episodes only last for a short period of time (10 minutes as you indicated), then it sounds like he may be having seizures.
If he recovers from one and then goes right back into another one OR if he continues to behave abnormally, then this would be considered an ER type of situation.
Hopefully, he's recovered from the last one such that this isn't a concern. What you'll want to do is continue to monitor him closely and have him seen as soon as your vet's office opens tomorrow.
As to the underlying cause, more often than not seizures in a dog this age are going to be Idiopathic...meaning we can't find a reason for them. As a result, we are not able to prevent them. Diet has been implicated in causing these events for certain dogs although a change of diet rarely prevents them from occurring in the majority of them. But something to consider.
Other possible causes (and this is just a partial list) include:
Head trauma
Ingestion of toxins or poisons (but as I mentioned above, the episodes usually last longer than a few minutes).
Liver issues
Brain masses
Meningitis
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
Topical flea/tick products (for some dogs)
Underlying cardiac issues resulting in hypertension.
I usually recommend that blood work be done to rule out the metabolic causes of seizure activity but explain to owners that additional testing such as an MRI or spinal tap might be needed to pursue other causes.
I hope this helps although again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up on your Beagle. How is he doing? Deb