Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Dog is yelping intermittently, when jumping down, sometimes when getting her ball from und

Customer Question

Dog is yelping intermittently, when jumping down, sometimes when getting her ball from under places, having it in her mouth, etc. Recently been intermittently not eating. Was worked up by vet before, said was not a concern as its episodic, and she usually just eats later.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Most likely Betty has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in older St Bernards because of their conformation and weight. Since Betty does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain that will cause a lack of appetite. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas and it cannot be seen on survey xrays or blood work. This can happen when Betty jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as she is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine Betty again to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Loretta,Thanks for your message. Totally understandable and reasonable. Thanks for your help. She hasn't done this since I emailed you, but I might as well go ahead with the treatment plan since her appetite is still mediocre. Just wondering why you recommended aspirin instead of an NSAID or Tylenol for her. Is aspirin a frequently used anti-inflammatory agent for dogs?
Yes, aspirin is the only safe anti inflammatory medication for dogs. Tylenol is toxic to dogs.
Just give it a try...I hope Betty feels better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your message. Regarding the aspirin - is there a difference with dogs with enteric v non enteric coated? I want to make sure I'm purchasing the right product for her.
There is no difference as log as you give this with food but I would prefer using the enteric coated just to be safe...good luck!
Hi Brian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Betty. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta