Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Within the last couple of days we noticed that her dog has

Customer Question

Within the last couple of days we noticed that her dog has a very red excoriated bum. She is acting normal and most other ways except that this really seems to be bothering her and she's trying to lick and chew her but
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 6 year old Golden Doodle girl Dakota who has seems to have a very irritated butt! Dogs generally go overboard with the licking and scooting back there primarily because they have irritation around their back end. This could due to anal irritation or pain, or due to a skin itch or irritation. The most common causes for this behavior include:
1.) Full or impacted anal glands
2.) Fleas
3.) Intestinal worms
4.) Skin irritation around the anus or at the tail base.
It could well be that Dakota's anal glands are full and need to be emptied. Ensure her anal glands are cleared out regularly by your Vet or groomer. If she is scooting as well as licking, it is quite likely she needs her glands expressed. You should also add some fiber to her diet to help minimize the number of times the glands need to be cleared. Try adding some bran flakes or metamucil to her wet food, or feed her some canned pumpkin.
Also be sure to keep on top of the flea and worming treatments. Make sure you use a reliable product like this. Advantage or Advocate are perfect for defleaing and I would suggest a good All-wormer like Drontal, Milbemax or Panacur as well. This will help to sort out numbers 2 and 3! If she gets skin irritations, then be sure to shampoo her every week or two. You can also try a little benadryl if you think this may be the cause. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dakota. How is everything going?

Pet Doc