Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was stuck by a dead catfish 7 days ago. Today the spot

Customer Question

My dog was stuck by a dead catfish 7 days ago. Today the spot is swollen and hot, but I can't see any visible infection. Is this an emergency, or can I wait til Monday to call her vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Now catfish stings are notorious for causing severe inflammation and can introduce infection into the tissue (depending on how deep the stinger was able to penetrate). In regards to urgency of treating, this will be based on how sore Bella is. If she is very painful, then we'd want to have her seen urgently so that antibiotics and dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, Previcox) can be dispensed. Otherwise, if she is only mildly sore, you can choose to monitor and cool compress this for her with a view to having it checked on Monday. But again how urgent a situation this is depends on how severely this is affecting her.
Please take care,
Dr. B.