Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is Atopica effective congestion (no discharge) on dogs

Customer Question

Is Atopica effective for nasal congestion (no discharge) on dogs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A vet told me that Atopica is effective for itching and also effective to the source of the allergen.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. 1. I personally would not consider using Atopica to treat nasal congestion in dogs, basically I do not thing this would be effective and in any case this is not one of the general indications for it's use. 2. Atopica { cyclosporin } is generally indicated for the following : A. It is commonly prescribed to suppress the immune system in diseases such as immune mediated hemolytic anemia, perineal fistula, allergic skin disease, and dry eye. B. Cyclosporine also can be used to prevent rejection after kidney or bone-marrow transplants. 3. For nasal congestion you may perhaps need the likes of antibiotics or antihistamines, but this can be determined by your vet after a clinical examination. 4. Please follow this link for more in depth information on the use of Atopica in dogs : LINK My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hi Pascal,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?