Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am adopting a stray puppy probaby 6-9 mos. old. What shots

Customer Question

I am adopting a stray puppy probaby 6-9 mos. old. What shots will she need, not knowing what she may have already gotten? She's very healthy, I think she may have been dumped when her family moved.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Assuming she hasn't had any vaccines at all, she needs a distemper combination vaccine (DAPP) and rabies vaccine for sure. I would also highly recommend getting her a leptospirosis vaccine, since that can be transmitted to humans, and a bordatella vaccine (major component of kennel cough - the infectious agent that causes the worse signs). If you live in an area where there are a lot of ticks, I would recommend a Lyme vaccine. If you live in an area where there is a canine influenza outbreak, I would vaccinate for that as well. All those vaccines, besides rabies and bordatella, require a booster in 3-4 weeks. I would also have her tested for intestinal parasites and heartworm disease and start her on a heartworm and flea preventative monthly, assuming that heartworm disease is a concern in your area, which it is in most areas of the US. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.