Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Just adopted female GSD, she was spayed but they found pyometra.

Customer Question

Just adopted female GSD, she was spayed but they found pyometra. She was sent home with 500 mg of cephalexin, every 12 hours. Her stools were great for 2 days, now its bad diarrhea, extrememe lethargy, rapid breathing. I have stopped the cephalexin.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I hoping I can help you with the question you have about your dog. It sounds like your dog may have had a allergic reaction to the Cephalexin so it is good that you have decided to stop it. However I would consult with your veterinarian to see if she needs to be put on another antibiotic. With pyometra you worry about infection even after the surgery so I would hate to see her get sick again. Also you may still need the diarrhea to be treated appropriately as stopping the Cephalexin may not be enough to stop it.