Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

How do you feel about shelters NOT testing dogs ,

Customer Question

How do you feel about shelters NOT testing dogs for heartworm, not giving preventative, and not disclosing that they don't, when adopting a dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I think it is fantastic when a shelter is able to provide this service, but we cannot expect all shelters to be able to do this for all the animals free of cost. or sometimes even with cost. There are many lower income counties who cannot afford any level of veterinary care for their shelter patients. There is no way to make this a requirement of shelters unless the state or federal government funds this, which would be amazing and wonderful, but realistically it probably will never be on a priority list for funding.As far as actual heart worm preventive, the shelters I know that actually do provide this to their adopted pets receive the product as donations from the drug companies in most cases. Therefore, we tend to see this more with Humane Society shelters than with county animal shelters. Again, there is simply not the budget to have this as a service. :( I do, however, agree that shelters should be very honest with all adopted pets as to the level and type of veterinary care that was provided. If no vaccinations, heart worm preventive or other treatments were given, then this needs to be stated. That way the new adoptee family can plan accordingly to have this done. Not all families will, but it is the shelter's job to try to find reasonable families to adopt the pets to. Some shelters care more than others as to the type of home that is provided. Most are so thankful there is a willing family to adopt that they are happy to see the pet leave.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.